Houston Drowning Accident Lawyer
Property owners that have a lake, swimming pool, or other body of water on their premises need to act responsibly. That includes taking the necessary precautions to protect the safety of anyone that uses their property to swim or go boating. The majority of property owners in Houston are responsible, but not everyone takes the required reasonable measures to protect their guests.
The stakes are very high when it comes to swimming pools and other bodies of water. Drownings can happen in a second, particularly when the victim is a child. If you or someone you love has been hurt, our Houston drowning accident lawyer can help with your case.
Common Causes of Drowning Accidents
Drowning accidents that happen due to the negligent or reckless actions of property owners fall under an area of personal injury law known as premises liability. Drowning accident cases involving mistakes made by property owners are generally caused by:
- A lack of lifeguards at public swimming pools
- Improperly trained lifeguards at public swimming pools
- A lack of fencing or other barrier around a swimming pool
- A lack of warning signs for hazards and obstacles
- Slip and falls in and around swimming pools
- Improper maintenance of swimming pools
Drowning accidents also sometimes happen on boats. In these cases, boat operators are expected to maintain the boat and operate it in a reasonably safe manner. Boat operators should also always make sure the vessel contains personal safety equipment, such as life jackets, and that everyone on board wears one while on the water.
Drowning Accident Cases are Complex
All accident cases have the potential to become complex. However, because the stakes are so high in drowning cases, these cases are almost always complicated. Drowning accident cases are likely to become more complex due to a number of factors, which are as follows:
- Property owners that deny they did anything, or failed to do anything, that caused the drowning
- Property owners that insist they took all necessary safety precautions
- Property owners that try to blame the victim for the drowning accident
- Property owners that conceal or destroy evidence related to the drowning incident
- The insurance company of property owners that deny accident claims
Of all of the above, it may be the insurance company that presents the biggest challenge. Insurance companies are aware of the large settlements that typically apply to drowning accident cases and so, they fight them vigorously to prioritize their own profits over your rights, and the safety of your loved one.
Call Our Drowning Accident Lawyer in Houston
If you have been injured in a drowning accident, or you have lost someone, our Houston drowning accident lawyer at Livingston & Flowers, PLLC, can assist with your case. We know the devastation drowning accidents cause, and we want to help you and your family make things right. Call us today at 713-489-4400 or contact us online to schedule a free confidential consultation and to learn more about how we can help with your case.