Houston Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Houston is a beautiful city to walk around but for pedestrians, certain dangers are always present. Drivers often lack awareness of the pedestrians around them, and if they ever hit someone, catastrophic injuries can occur. These injuries are not only extremely painful and difficult to overcome, but they are also very costly to deal with. If you or a loved one has been hurt due to a driver’s negligence, you can claim compensation to help offset the financial burden of your injuries. Our Houston personal injury lawyers for pedestrian accidents can advise on your case and help you claim the damages you deserve.
Pedestrian Accidents are Very Common in Houston
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, 660 pedestrians were killed in 2019 in the state, and thousands more were injured. In the same year, drivers were involved in 8,500 accidents involving pedestrians and cyclists. In Houston specifically, pedestrian accidents have increased an alarming 125 percent in the past ten years.
It is quite clear that pedestrian accidents in the city and throughout the state are far too common. Even worse, the vast majority of them are largely preventable. Most pedestrian accidents in the state are caused by driver negligence.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
It is important to identify the cause of any pedestrian accident, as you will have to prove the driver that hit you acted negligently. The most common causes of pedestrian accidents in Houston are as follows:
- Distracted driving: Drivers that take their eyes off the road for just a second may fail to see a pedestrian before crashing into them.
- Speeding: Speeding not only means a driver will need more time to stop, but they also do not have as much time to make decisions behind the wheel. Both of these can result in a driver hitting a pedestrian.
- Turns at intersections: When a driver makes a turn, they will often check to ensure the path ahead of them is clear, particularly if they are making a left turn. However, they do not look to ensure the path they are about to cross is clear, and pedestrians are hit as a result.
- Failure to yield right-of-way: Pedestrians often have the right-of-way, particularly when they are using a crosswalk. Sometimes, though, drivers will rush to make a light, or simply so they do not have to stop for walkers. This type of reckless behavior can quickly result in a pedestrian accident.
- Impaired driving: Impaired drivers have poor judgment, slower reaction times, and perception issues. An impaired driver may not see a pedestrian, or they may make a bad decision, such as confusing the gas pedal for the brake.
After an accident, you may not know exactly what caused your crash. A Houston pedestrian accident lawyer will investigate to determine the cause, and hold liable parties accountable.
Our Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Houston Can Help You Claim Full Damages
If you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence on the roads, our personal injury lawyers at Livingston & Flowers Law Firm can help you claim the fair settlement you deserve. Call us today at (877) 722-3277 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with one of our seasoned attorneys.